Whenever we are craving thai food, I make this chicken and bamboo red curry dish. It's fail-proof and super easy to make. I learned this dish from Aunt Chinda (my husband's aunt who is a BRILLIANT cook!). I wish we lived closer to her so I can learn more yummy thai dishes. The other dish I made is chinese broccoli (gai-lan) sautéed in loads of garlic and oyster sauce. Again, this is fail-proof! And of course, my husband was whining for more greek yogurt with honey. He is such a child sometimes.
Thai Red Curry with Chicken + Bamboo strips:
- 1 can of coconut milk (double check the can and make sure it doesn's say "for dessert")
- 1 can of Bamboo STRIPPED shoots, rinsed
- 1 can of Maesri brand red curry
- 3 thai chili peppers, thinly slivered
- a handful of basil leaves
- 2 tablespoon fishsauce (optional)
- 1 medium pack chicken thighs (boiled and shredded into strips, throw away skin and cartilage)
> Over medium to high heat, add coconut milk to a large pot. Bring to simmer and add 3/4 of the red curry paste (or if you want it spicier, add the entire content). Stir frequently until the paste is completely dissolved. Keep simmering until you see red oil separation forming in the coconut milk for about 5 minutes.
> Add cooked chicken strips, bamboo shoots, and thai chili peppers. Let it simmer for 5 to 7 minutes. Add basil leaves last and cook for about 2 more minutes.
> Serve over jasmine rice.